Location: 551 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10176
Email: Email Me
Jeffrey A. Chester has more than 30 years of experience counseling and assisting real estate and business clients. His clientele includes state agencies and authorities, Fortune 500 Companies, locally prominent real estate development companies, as well as smaller closely held businesses. Mr. Chester has also served as counsel to several not-for-profits.
Mr. Chester handles transactional work (real estate sales, purchases, leases, business organization agreements, and asset purchases and sales); zoning, land use, real property tax abatements, environmental law issues related to real estate development, as well as general business advice.
Recent projects include the sale of two parcels of state land in Brooklyn to be developed with 1200 units of affordable housing; negotiating the restricted sale of 69 acre former state correctional facility to be developed as a film and television production studio; received multiple zoning variances for a client to build a 200,00 sq. ft. mixed-use real estate project (affordable housing/community facility); the redevelopment of landmark vaudeville theater on Manhattan’s west side; the sale and redevelopment of a former public facility for an 800,000 sq. ft. affordable housing project in Brooklyn; the rezoning of a six acre industrial site for a mixed-use development (including a 1,650 student high school facility and two residential apartment buildings); the sale of two industrial buildings on Long Island.
Mr. Chester is a founding and current member of the City Bar Association’s Zoning and Land Use Committee and acts as General Counsel for the New York State Restaurant Services (a state restaurant trade association).
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Zoning & Land Use
- Business Entity Formation
- Administrative & Regulatory
- New York, 1986
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1986
- Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. – 1985
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.A. – 1978
- Contribution writer for Real Estate Weekly and New York Construction News
- Moderator and Panelist, “Zoning and Land Use” seminar, Lorman Educational Services (2007, 2008)
- Moderator and Panelist, “Land Use NYC” seminar, Law Seminars International (2010)
Honors and Awards
- New York Super Lawyers List, 2014 – 2017