Location: 155 Willowbrook Boulevard, Wayne, NJ 07470
Location: 551 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10176
Email: Email Me
Steve Gerber has practiced management-side employment and labor law, focusing on litigation and arbitrations, for three decades. His trial practice also includes complex commercial litigation, complex tort defense litigation, internal investigations, and representing colleges, universities and independent schools in litigation and investigations. He began his career as a law clerk for the late Chief U.S. District Judge for the District of New Jersey, and from 1980 through 1984, he was an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey.
Mr. Gerber has been included on the New York Metro Area Super Lawyers® list several times and the New Jersey Super Lawyers® list. He is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Gerber is active in the leadership of the Defense Research Institute – The Voice of the Defense Bar (“DRI”) (http://www.dri.org), the 22,000+ member international association of attorneys devoted to the defense of civil litigation. He is a past Chair of DRI’s Employment & Labor Law Committee, and currently is a Member of the Committee’s Advisory Board and its Seminar Planning Committee. He also has served as a Member of DRI’s Board of Directors, its Law Institute, and DRI’s 21st Century Lawyer Task Force.
In addition, Mr. Gerber serves on the American Arbitration Association’s National Roster of Employment Arbitrators and Mediators. He is also a Member of the select Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC) and is a past Chair of the FDCC’s Employment and Workplace Law Section; and is a Member of the select Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, the New Jersey State Bar Association and the American Bar Association (Member, Litigation Section).
Active in community affairs, Mr. Gerber is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the United Way of Passaic County, and serves as Secretary for New Jersey Manufacturing Extension Program, Inc.
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Quoted in the national and legal media on employment discrimination trends
- Lecturer at DRI National Seminars
- Co-author of several articles on jury attitudes towards businesses in employment discrimination litigation
- May 2013, DRI National Employment & Labor Law Seminar: co-presenter, “Pitfalls and Tips: Arbitration of Employment Discrimination and Retaliation Claims”
- May 2016, DRI National Employment & Labor Law Seminar: co-presenter, “It Ain’t What It Used to Be –Practicing in Era of AFAs & RFPs”
- Author, “No One-Size-Fits-All: Investigating and Addressing Complaints of Historical Sexual Harassment and Abuse,” DRI In-House Defense Quarterly, Spring 2017
- May 2018, DRI Employment & Labor Law Seminar, speaker, IP or Not IP – Is that the Question? Intellectual Property for the Employment Lawyer, “Litigating Claims of Breach of Fiduciary Duty and Theft of Intellectual Property”
Areas of Practice:
- Complex Litigation
- Employment Law
- Internal Investigations & Compliance
- Higher Education & Secondary Schools
Honors and Awards:
- New York Metro Area Super Lawyers, 2013-2019
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2017-2020
- Best Lawyers in America, New York and New Jersey, Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2018-2019
- B.A., State University of New York at Albany, 1974, cum laude
- J.D., University at Buffalo School of Law, 1978, magna cum laude, Articles Editor of the Buffalo Law Review
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York,
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York