Location: 155 Willowbrook Boulevard, Wayne, NJ 07470
Location: 551 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10176
Email: Email Me
Steve Gerber has practiced management-side employment and labor law, focusing on litigation and arbitrations, for three decades. His practice also includes complex commercial litigation, complex tort defense litigation, and internal investigations. He began his career as an associate in an international AmLaw 100 firm’s New York and Washington, D.C.’s offices and then was a law clerk for the late Chief U.S. District Judge for the District of New Jersey. From 1980 through 1984, he served was an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, Criminal Division, and then returned to private practice.
Mr. Gerber has been included on the New Jersey Super Lawyers® list and the New York Metro Area Super Lawyers® list, Best Lawyers in America, New York and New Jersey list, and America’s Most Honored Lawyers list. He is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Gerber is active in the leadership of the Defense Research Institute –Lawyers Representing Business™ (“DRI”) (http://www.dri.org), the 22,000+ member international association of attorneys devoted to the defense of civil litigation. He is a past Chair of DRI’s Employment & Labor Law Committee, and currently is a Member of the Committee’s 2023 Seminar Planning Committee. He also has served as a Member of DRI’s Board of Directors, its Law Institute, and DRI’s 21st Century Lawyer Task Force.
In addition, Mr. Gerber serves on the American Arbitration Association’s National Roster of Employment Arbitrators and Mediators, as well as on its Consumer Law Roster of Arbitrators in the New York metro area. He also has been appointed by the New Jersey Superior Court, Chancery Division as a Special Discovery Master in complex real estate partnership/joint venture litigation.
Mr. Gerber isalso a Member of the select Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC) and is a past Chair of the FDCC’s Employment and Workplace Law Section. He is also a Member of the select Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, the New JerseyState Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. Mr. Gerber was also one of the founding “Benchers” of New Jersey’s Sidney Reitman Employment Law Inn of Court, the first American Inn of Court dedicated to employment law practice.
Active in community affairs, Mr. Gerber serves on the Board of Directors of the United Way of Passaic County and as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Passaic County Community College Foundation. He alsoserves as the Corporate Secretary and outside General Counsel for New Jersey Manufacturing Extension Program, Inc., a non-profit entity providing advice and consulting services to New Jersey manufacturing companies. He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of Kampfe Lake Association.
Mr. Gerber represents clients in many sectors. He has long-standing experience in representing clients in the following areas: healthcare (hospitals and research centers, and physical/occupational and rehabilitation therapy in-patient and out-patient providers); educational institutions (public and private secondary schools, colleges and universities); skilled nursing, assisted living and independent senior living facilities; transportation; logistics; retail; manufacturing; financial services; pharmaceuticals; public sector entities; and not-for-profit corporations and foundations.
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Quoted in the national and legal media on employment discrimination trends
- Co-author of several articles on jury attitudes towards businesses in employment discrimination litigation
- May 2013, DRI National Employment & Labor Law Seminar: co-presenter, “Pitfalls and Tips: Arbitration of Employment Discrimination and Retaliation Claims”
- May 2016, DRI National Employment & Labor Law Seminar: co-presenter, “It Ain’t What It Used To Be –Practicing in Era of AFAs & RFPs”
- Co-author, “No One-Size-Fits-All: Investigating and Addressing Complaints of Historical Sexual Harassment and Abuse,” DRI In-House Defense Quarterly, Spring 2017
- May 2018, DRI Employment & Labor Law Seminar:co-presenter, “IP or Not IP – Is that the Question? Intellectual Property for the Employment Lawyer — “Litigating Claims of Breach of Fiduciary Duty and Theft of Intellectual Property”
- May 2022, DRI Employment & Labor Law Seminar: co-presenter, “The New Normal — What Every Employment Lawyer Needs to Know About Arbitrations”
Areas of Practice:
- Complex Litigation
- Employment Law
- Internal Investigations & Compliance
- Higher Education & Secondary Schools
Honors and Awards:
- Top Attorneys, New Jersey, 2020
- New York Metro Area Super Lawyers, 2013-2020
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2017-2020
- Best Lawyers in America, New York and New Jersey, Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2018-2022
- America’s Most Honored Lawyers, 2020-2022
- B.A., State University of New York at Albany, 1974, cum laude
- J.D., University at Buffalo School of Law, 1978, magna cum laude, Articles Editor of the Buffalo Law Review
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York,
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York