Mindy H. Stern, Partner
Mindy H. Stern specializes in representing closely held for-profit and not-for-profit entities, and individuals, in the areas of real estate law and trusts and estates law. She is experienced in the areas of leasing, acquisition and lending, as well as providing personal services to individuals in the areas of real estate and trusts and estates.
Ms. Stern served as Clerk to the Honorable Mitchell H. Cohen in the United States District Court, District of New Jersey from 1982 through1983. Prior to joining the Firm, she was an Associate with Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP.
- New York Super Lawyers, 2008-2015
- New York Super Lawyers Top Women Attorneys, 2013-2014
- Real Estate Weekly’s 100 Women Real Estate Leaders for the 21st Century
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Member, NAMWOLF
- Member, National Association of Women Lawyers
- City Club of New York, Former President and Trustee. Organized day-long Term Limits Retreat for the City Club discussing the impact of term limits legislation on the governance of municipalities, December 6, 2001 attended by civic leaders and elected officials.
- Real Estate Board of New York – former Member, Legislation Committee
- President, 83rd Street Owners Corp.
- Pro Bono Counsel, National Association of Women Business Owners – NYC Chapter
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Adjunct Professor, Real Estate Contract Drafting (2007-2014)
Service to The Bar:
New York State Bar Association
- First Vice Chair, Real Property Law Section effective June 1, 2015
Organized and chaired the New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section Summer Meeting, July 16-19, 2015, Basin Harbor Club on Lake Champlain, Vergennes, VT. Topics included: History and Shipwrecks: The Threatened Legacy (Or, What Should We Do with Benedict Arnold’s Gunboat?); The Battle to Save Lake Champlain, Construction Law 101 for Leasing Lawyers, Case Law Update, Negotiating Restaurant Leases: Food for Thought, Fun with Ethics, The ABC’s of Entity Selection for Dirt Lawyers, Hot Topics for Cooperatives and Condominiums, Negotiating Strategies for Big Box Retail, and Time of the Essence: Law and Lore Every Dirt Lawyer Should Know. More information about the event can be found at www.nysba.org/rplssummer/
- Member, Executive Committee, Real Property Law Section
- Former Co-Chair, Committee on Not-for-Profit Entities and Concerns
- Chair, Lorraine Power Tharp Scholarship Fund Committee
- Member, Professionalism Award Committee
- Former Chair, Task Forces on Attorney Escrows and Diversity in the Profession
- Member, Trusts and Estates Law Section
The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Former NYC Bar Association Member, Delegation to the New York State Bar Association House of Delegates
- Former Chair, Committee on Real Property Law
- Former Secretary, Committee on Cooperatives and Condominiums
American Bar Association
- Member, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Speaker, PLI's "Commericial Real Estate Financing 2015", in New York, New York, April 20-21, 2015.
- Quoted in Article entitled “Guests in Co-ops and Condos: Wearing Out Their Welcome?” written by Greg Olear appearing in December 2014 Edition of the Cooperator – the Co-op & Condo Monthly.
- Author, Book Chapter entitled "Special Considerations When Using Cooperative Apartments to Fund Qualified Personal Residence Trusts in New York," appearing in 2013 Edition of "Inside the Minds: Strategies for Trusts and Estates in New York" published by Aspatore.
- Quoted in Article entitled "Happy Holidays! Holiday Decorating Etiquette" written by Christy Smith-Sloman appearing in November 2013 Edition of the Cooperator – Co-op & Condo Monthly.
- Quoted in Article entitled "Passing It On: Wills, Trusts and Prenups" written by Raanan Geberer appearing in the Law and Legislation Section of January 2013 Edition of The Cooperator – the Co-op & Condo Monthly.
- Quoted in Article entitled “No Time Like the Precedent” written by Jonathan Barnes appearing in the June 2011 Edition of The Cooperator - the Co-op & Condo Monthly.
- Lecturer on "Fundamentals of Real Estate Transactions" for Bridge-the-Gap CLE program sponsored by New York State Bar Association, since 2010.
- Author, "Time of the Essence in Real Estate Contracts of Sale – Law and Lore," Syracuse Law Review Volume 59, Number 4, Syracuse University School of Law, 2009.
- Lecturer, legal and practical issues in connection with closing a commercial real estate transaction, sponsored as a pro bono CLE Community Outreach Program by the American Bar Association Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, the New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section, and various local minority bar associations, November 18, 2009.
- Program Chair, and Lecturer, Pre-Contract Matters and Mortgage Financing, New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section "Practical Skills: Purchases and Sales of Homes" Program, since 2009.
- Co-Author, "Are E-Mail Signatures in New York Real Estate Transactions Legally Binding Yet?," New York Real Estate Law Reporter, October, 2009.
- Lecturer, "What Every Dirt Lawyer Should Know About Trusts and Estates" presented at the New York Bar Association Real Property Law Section Summer Meeting on July 17, 2009.
- Chair and Panelist, "Surviving the Residential Real Estate Closing: Better Than Reality TV" New York City Bar Association Real Property Law Committee program, since 2007.
- Panelist, "Rights and Remedies on Defaults in Single Family Residential Contracts of Sale" sponsored by the New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section Annual Meeting held on January 29, 2009.
- Lecturer, "Trusts and Estates" section of New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section program "Tax Aspects of Real Property Transactions" held on June 4 and June 5, 2008.
- Quoted in Article entitled "Servant of Two Masters: Avoiding Conflicts of Interest" by Greg Olear, which appeared in the May, 2008 edition of The Cooperator Magazine (Vol. 28, No. 5).
- Lecturer, "Mortgages and Mortgage Issues" section of New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section program "Real Estate Titles and Transfers" held on October 13, 2007.
- Lecturer, "Primer on Cooperatives and Condominiums" portion of New York State Bar Association Trusts and Estates Section program held on April 20, 2007.
- The Cooperator Magazine, Nov 2006. Guest Columnist, responses to reader inquiries about ownership of cooperative apartments by trusts, and inter-family transfers of cooperative apartments to trusts.
- Co-Author, "RPLS Report of the Task Force on Attorney Escrows – Current Practice, Alternatives and Improvements" published in Fall 2006 Vol. 34 No. 2 edition of the N.Y. Real Property Law Journal of the Real Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association Section.
- Lecturer, Financing segment of "Selling and Buying a One Family House", sponsored as a pro bono CLE Community Outreach Program by the American Bar Association Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, the New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section, and various minority bar associations, January 18, 2006.
- Moderator and Lecturer on Due Diligence Issues since mid-1990’s of annual CLE program sponsored by The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, first titled "Representing Buyers and Sellers of Residential Property," now titled "Residential Closings: Soup to Nuts".